Week 2 Part A: Communication Between Business & Consumer

    I want to write to you about the correspondence between businesses and consumers.   It has changed so incredibly much over the years, but how? I also want to take a closer look at the types of comments shared when reviewing a product or business and then how I would respond to comments or concerns if it were my own personal business?  


    Technology has completely changed the way businesses can interact with their consumers and how consumers can directly affect businesses.  Both have access to email, social media, online real-time chats, facetime, blogging, and cell phones. In the past, everything was on paper, had to be printed, and then mailed out.  Email correspondence has now replaced handwritten letters between customers and staff. It would take much longer to receive a response when sending a handwritten letter.  But now, you can pretty much expect a quick answer back and save money at the same time.  There are no longer postage costs needed when corresponding. Also, the ability to see or send pictures quickly to get your voice heard has brought about change for businesses and the consumer. Social Media has changed business indefinitely as well.  Businesses can grow quickly by establishing a fan base as well as to adapt to consumer needs and wants quickly.  Consumers' expectations are very high now.  They want control over what they see and want and how and when they want to receive it.  Consumers are driving businesses.  


    Reviewing products and businesses is vital to business. It can help a business make changes toward growth or it can negatively affect their growth. Personally, I like to leave positive comments about products I purchased that I really like or enjoy.  I know I should post negative feedback as well, but I believe I need to be uber careful when commenting in that way. Those negative comments can destroy a business for years so I tend to think long and hard before commenting negatively. When it comes to hotel stays or restaurants, I do like to share my experience whether good or bad as to affect the customer service at that establishment.  I believe there is a way to communicate my issues with respect and without harm. Overall in life, I believe and know that positive comments build-up, while negative ones can tear down.  We all need to look to build each other up and give support when possible. 


    As a business owner, I would be so pleased and impacted by the positive comments received.  I am naturally a pleaser so it would mean the world to make others satisfied with my product or services.  If I received a negative comment I would be sad and probably feel rejected at that moment.  But, I would hope to quickly respond and try to accommodate their concerns, if it is in my power to do so. I was raised with the belief that the customer is always right so it is important to me that the customer feels heard and understood.  I know that there are people that cannot be pleased no matter what is done for them, so if I wasn't able to please them I would apologize and move on. 


    The bottom line, the way business is executed is changing if we like it or not, how we respond and communicate, while running our business, can directly affect the growth, productivity, profit, and most importantly relationships.  We must adapt and learn how to communicate effectively and positively.  As consumers, we must be understanding of all of these changes incurred by a business and make choices to be less selfish and think of others before ourselves when making purchases or doing business with specific establishments moving forward. I have a new perspective on this topic after thinking about and writing this post.  I am a big consumer and have only thought about myself in the process.  I will now give thought to the other side of the equation when making comments or purchases.


Comments

Popular Posts